[c-nsp] Bridging VLANs together

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Nov 11 07:09:32 EST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 01:57:17PM -0500, Jason Greenberg wrote:
> For example, We might have customer A who has sites 1 and 2.  Sites 1
> and 2 will be delivered to us on vlans 100 and 200.
>
> This service is currently terminated on a 7200, and in the past I've
> used bridge-groups to accomplish the task, however we're expecting an
> increase in bandwidth demand at layer 2, and I'd like to intercept the
> service with a Catalyst 3550.

I have no idea whether any current Cisco switch can do that (build
a "bridge group" out of vlan 100 and 200).

Assuming that it isn't possible, you might achieve the end goal by
doing VLAN ID translation on one of the incoming links - that is,
"vlan 200 coming in *here* is to be translated to vlan 100".

I know that this can be done on 6500s - I've never researched whether
it can be done on 3550/3560 or 2960/2970 switches.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de