[c-nsp] multimode Re: GLC-SX-MM and 50µm mm fiber

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Nov 13 14:56:55 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Adam Greene wrote:

> deploying 62.5µm fiber but have been learning that 50µm is probably more
> forward-looking in terms of being able to support 10Gbps if we later upgrade

Hi. Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I was just wondering if someone
could explain to me why one would ever want to deploy multimode cabling in
new installations? To be forward-looking, I'd say single mode is the way
to go. Then you know for a fact you can scale into at least 100G, most
likely quite a lot more.

I realise that like 50% of cisco sales of optics is multimode, I just
can't figure out why people do it for new cable installations. The price
difference isn't that big, especially when you consider the cost of ODFs
over a long time, where SM cabling should have a much longer lifespan?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se