[c-nsp] 7600 as a switch

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Nov 13 15:30:59 EST 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 07:58:40AM -0500, Scott McGrath wrote:
> 7600 IS a switch -  currently there is no difference between a 65xx and
> a 76xx - Cisco has indicated the the code paths will fork at some point
> but right now a  65xx will run any 76xx image and vice versa.

The interesting question is "what sort of foolishness will the two
competing business units come up with" - meant to increase their revenue,
but in reality pissing off customers...

I would be *really* *really* annoyed to find out one day that some nice
piece of (ethernet switching) hardware that would perfectly fit into one
of my "cat6k" chassis ends up being unsupported because I happen to own
a 7604, and not a 6504 - or that some other nice blade refuses to work
in the 6509, just because it's not a 7609...

To eventually see modules that will only work with SX* IOSes, and other
modules that will only work with SR* IOSes wouldn't overly surprise me,
though - this is something Cisco has done to 7200 owners before, and
I'm sure they will do it again.  But usually this is some sort of
temporary thing, while the 6500/7600 BU craziness seems to be done
on purpose.

(Supposedly Force10 is also building *very* nice L2+L3 devices - anyone
having experience with their L3 side of things...?)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de