[c-nsp] Testing bandwidth

Stephen Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 08:31:31 EST 2006

If you are not happy to read the reported rate on the interface then your option is to test it empirically...

I dont see the problem with an FTP download.. just make sure both server and client have unrestricted access to the link you wish to test.

I see frequent speed queries reported here however the users will often use a tool situated halfway round the world. Clearly any download should be sourced from your own network and as near to the customer as is practical.

Steve

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 12:45:53PM -0000, Aamir Amin wrote:
> Hey guys,
>

> Is there any accurate way of measuring the speed of a link, we are using
> iperf at the moment but that doesn't seem to be reliable,
>
> We are also giving customers out ftp server to upload to so that they
> can test there bandwidth capacity. Do you guys have any more reliable
> ways of testing the speed on a link?
>

> Aamir Amin
>
> Level-3 Engineer
>
> AboveNet Communications (UK) Ltd