[c-nsp] Testing bandwidth

Dario dario.donsion at soporte.rediris.es
Wed Nov 15 09:12:03 EST 2006

Dear all,

You can use MGEN (traffic generator tool) to test the capacity of a link.

Install it in a machine and connect this machine directly to the router:

	MGEN --- Router A -------- Router B

Then configure static routes in Router A and Router B to force a packet to go from Router A to Router B
and viceversa several times.

(using private IPs)

Router A:	ip route 10.0.0.1 255.555.555.555 routerB
Router B:	ip route 10.0.0.1 255.555.555.555 routerA

Suposse you want to test a STM-4 link at 80% during 24 hours, the you need to configure MGEN as follows:

# Send Traffic to a private IP, port 5001 with TTL=255
# (then each packet does 127 loops)
# We send 350 packets of 1399 bytes

0.0 ON  1 UDP SRC 5001 DST 10.0.0.1/5001 PERIODIC [350 1399] TTL 255 INTERFACE ce0

# End at 24 hours
86400 OFF 1

explanation: 350 packets/sec * 127 loops * 1399 bytes/packet * 8 bits/byte = 497484400 => 80% of an STM-4
(you cand adjust those parameters in order to test other link capacities)

Then force MGEN to send traffic using that configuration (read its manual for how conf and execute it).

If you can configure counters (Juniper can do) the you can apply them to the interfaces and count packets
in order to see if all is OK (same values in each end of the link).

No-keepalives, no is-is, no... in order to have only traffic from MGEN in the link, if needed filter traffic using
ip source of MGEN machine, IP destination and port.

The idea is to generate traffic with MGEN and force it to loop in the link to reach the % of the link, 24 hours is ok
to test the link.

And that's all, hope it helps :)

Regards,

	Dario D.