[c-nsp] EIGRP-external routes and EIGRP "distance" command

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Fri Nov 17 11:36:55 EST 2006

> After some lab testing (using IOS 12.4/12.4T on C2811 and
> C3745) I'm led
> to believe that the command
>
> distance <distance> <ip-address> <wildcard-mask> [ip-standard-acl |
> ip-extended-acl | access-list-name]
>
> applied in "router eigrp" works only for EIGRP-internal routes.
> EIGRP-external routes always get the default EIGRP admin distance for
> external routes, no matter if they match an ACL or neighbor IP in the
> distance command.

The BSCI Study Guide explicitly says to use "distance eigrp" (with no
address or wildmask) for EIGRP, and the "distance" command within the
routing-protocol config (with an optional address/mask) for everything else.

I don't know if this is intended to imply that it doesn't / shouldn't work
or isn't supported for EIGRP...

> [Oh, and before you start flaming me for bad network design -
> I'd never
> use any of the above in actual production networks. This is
> just out of
> sheer curiosity and CCIE lab madness :) ]

ACK.  Tweaking admin distance lives in the "Wrong, but sometimes Less Wrong
than anything else" toolbox for me.  Tweaking admin distance per prefix...
*shudder*

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim.franklin at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Network Development &        w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Product Engineering          t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876