[c-nsp] Examples of ipv4 over ipv6 on s GSR...

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Tue Nov 28 02:48:29 EST 2006

On (2006-11-27 15:50 -0500), Aaron Daubman wrote:

> I'm looking for some basic configurations of 4to6, where a GSR based
> backbone is running ospf v3 using only IPv6 between the GSR backbone
> nodes and some edge routers have ipv4-only hosts connecting to them
> and the ipv4 traffic needs to be routed across the ipv6-only backbone.

I'm afraid but there isn't any good solution for you currently. I believe
during next year (late next year is my guess, but might go to
2008) GSR will IPv6 VRF support, this might or might not imply
IPv6 transport for LDP.
If it does imply IPv6 transport for LDP, you could put your IPv4
Internet to a VRF, and you could run your core as IPv6+MPLS.
There might be something of interest coming to L2TPv3 too, but you'd
have to discuss with your account team.

Of course if you absolutely need something today, or you absolutely
don't want MPLS, you probably need GRE tunnels with all the griefs it
brings.

I must say that I do hope this is purely research network, since
what you're planning to do, from my point increases costs and
decreases quality of your network.

> Also, does anybody have further info on the warning given for routing
> IPv6 tunneled packets on the GSR?  (I've already run into issues with
> my OC-48 LCs not handling v6 in hardware)...  The platform is a
> GSR12410 PRP2 with 2x ISE OC-48 LCs and 1x modular GigE card.

ISE should handle IPv6 in hardware, but there are catches, like
not supported in port-channel.
And if by modular you mean SIP/SPA (E5) that should be ok to.

--
  ++ytti