[c-nsp] egress replication capability on CFCs?

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Tue Oct 10 10:55:57 EDT 2006

At 09:47 AM 10/10/2006 +0100, christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com commented:

>Right, now I remember, it was the lookups alone, not the actual replication.

Correct.

>Our recommendation from your learned selves so far has been to stick
>away from egress replication in
>financial networks until it's a bit more mature, and hard code the
>devices to ingress.

I wouldn't say that, I think egress is perfectly matured, but whether
it has benefits in a non-DFC system depends on the # of lookups
required, the replication load, the configuration (eg, distribution
of interfaces), etc.

If you have low enough data rates, then ingress will work just fine,
you just want to monitor your fabric channel utilization to make sure
you aren't nearing capacity.

>How strong is egress replication looking these days? I imagine many
>of the service provider psychos
>with their MVPNs might be running it? :P

Don't think so, since MVPN is only supported with ingress mode ;)

But for large bandwidth replications such as many video streams, yes,
egress with "local" MET programming (mls ip multicast egress local)
is a requirement to conserve replication engine & fabric channel bandwidth.

Thanks,
Tim