[c-nsp] comparison 7301 and 7204-G1

Michel Lautenslager mie_shell at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 04:13:30 EDT 2006

Hi

I want to connect 2 ds3 lines to a remote location on
2 routers. I need 2 ethernet and a ds3 interface on
each router. Furthermore I need BGP, RIP, PIM and a
bit of encryption.

A 7204-NPG1 is very capable in doing the job. The 7200
platform is robust, reliable and high quality. Has
also got 2 power supplies and all resources needed.

A 7301 consumes less power and is only 1U height in
the  cabinet. And delivers enough interfaces. The
pricelist states that two powersupplies are possible
though I don't see where to put them. But mainly I
never used a 7301 before and don't know what the
quality is of a 7301.

I intend to get the 7301 but the question is: Does the
 7301 deliver the quality and reliabilty of a 7200
router?  Why or why not?

with kind regards

Michel