[c-nsp] QoS/NBAR 7200 for L2TP ADSL

Alex Cruz Farmer alex.cf+c-nsp at netsumo.com
Mon Oct 16 10:14:03 EDT 2006

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:
> Alex <mailto:alex.cf+c-nsp at netsumo.com> wrote on Monday, October 16,
> 2006 3:08 PM:
>

> the LAN cards on a 6500 only support policing (you need the extra
> buffers on OSM/Flexwan/SIP to do shaping). And you can't apply this
> inbound on the 7200 as inbound shaping is not supported anywhere (?) at
> the moment, so you need to turn this into a policer.
>
> But I'm not sure what you want to achieve. Limit the overall BW to
> 6Mbit, and within this 6Mbit do preferred treatment for some traffic
> type? In the original post, you mentioned 6Mbit + some addlt. BW for
> extra traffic/IP.. can you pls clarify?

OK, currently because usage on ADSL lines is a problem in the UK (and
I'm guessing in other places too), caps are put on ADSL lines to stop
people abusing them. Unfortunately, caps don't always do their jobs, and
people just abuse them anyway.

The aim of this little exercise was to deprioritise p2p traffic, http,
ftp, and then allow a buffer of about 3mbit for VoIP, telnet and gaming
all using the kit which is currently around/in use. Unfortunately, if
upload was the problem, filtering would be easy, but the problem is
actually people downloading, which is why I'm pulling my hair out. :)

Oh, the extra traffic bit was a certain IP block not to be locked down
by the QoS/traffic shaping.

Hope that clears up your queries.

Thanks,

Alex.