[c-nsp] Handling a video stream thru IPSEC tunnel?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Oct 16 14:00:52 EDT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Ed Ravin wrote:

> One of my customers needs to run a video stream through an IPSEC tunnel
> at a remote site.  The consumer-grade VPN/firewall/broadband router box
> he's using now doesn't seem to be able to handle it.
>
> Any suggestions?  Would a Cisco 1700 or 1800 be able to do the job?

It all depends on the type and bitrate of the video stream?  Pulling a
128k MPEG4 stream is a lot different than pulling a 6 Mb/s MPEG2 stream
in terms of packets per second and so forth.  Each type requires different
ports to be opened.  Depending on the capabilities of whatever is sending
the video stream, you may need to ratchet down the payload size of the
video packets to keep MTU issues resulting from wrapping them in IPSEC
down to a dull roar.

When you say the box the customer has now can't handle it, how is that
being quantified?

jms