[c-nsp] OT - BGP Analysis

Tue Oct 17 04:18:28 EDT 2006

Paul Stewart wrote:
> Hi there... sorry for the OT post... but figured that there would a
> number of people on this list with ideas..;)
>
> Does anyone know of any tools that would allow us to analyse our BGP
> traffic to answer the question of "if we switched to Provider X and we
> kept Provider Y & Z, X Mb/s of traffic would flow via Provider X" ??

Maybe you seek C-BGP? http://cbgp.info.ucl.ac.be/

"/C-BGP/ is an efficient BGP routing solver. Its aim is to compute the
outcome of the BGP decision process in network topologies composed of
several routers. The BGP model implemented in /C-BGP/ is not hindered by
the transmission of BGP messages over simulated TCP connections as in
/SSFNet/ or /J-Sim/. The solver supports the complete BGP decision
process, versatile import and export filters, route-reflection, and
experimental attributes such as redistribution communities. It is easily
configurable through a CISCO-like command-line interface. /C-BGP/ does
not model session establishment and timers (MRAI, dampening, ...). A
paper describing parts of /C-BGP/ has been published in IEEE Network
magazine: "Modeling the Routing of an Autonomous System with C-BGP"
<http://cbgp.info.ucl.ac.be/#paper_cbgp> (please refer to this paper
when you cite /C-BGP/).

/C-BGP/ can be used to experiment with modified decision processes and
additional BGP attributes. It can also be used to evaluate the impact of
input/output policies on the routing tables of other ASes. Thanks to its
efficiency, it can be used with large topologies with sizes of the same
order of magnitude than the Internet. For the moment, we mainly use it
to study interdomain traffic engineering techniques and to model the
network of ISPs."