[c-nsp] Bonding ADSL

Paul Stewart pstewart at nexicomgroup.net
Thu Oct 19 14:02:38 EDT 2006

This is an age old topic but I'm looking at bonding a pair of ADSL's ...

Setup is basically Cisco 1811 router (using dialer interfaces) across
two DSL links to same provider (we're the ISP) using two separate
usernames with two separate static IP addresses.  I'd like to accomplish
bonding or at least load balancing / redundancy if possible.

Suggestion has been to use BGP which I'm thinkig is a good solution.

The DSL router on our side is a 7206VXR - originally I was going use
MLPPP but couldn't find a config that made it work properly... so BGP is
next best option...

The 7206VXR does not run BGP today but I could set that up using iBGP if
neccessary.  What I'm thinking of is running multi-hop to our core GSR
box...

Questions that come to mind are:

Private AS or just run our own AS to the 1811?
Can I only send partial table (our own network) to the 1811?

I'm just trying to get my head around the best setup to use in this
scenario as it's not a common setup for us....

Thanks,

Paul