[c-nsp] 3845 & NM-WLC config questions

Yuri Lukin lists at swaggi.com
Fri Oct 20 09:28:51 EDT 2006

matthew zeier wrote ..
> I'm confused as to how to configure a NM-WLC in a 3845 to support two SSIDs,
> one on an inside network behind WPA/RADIUS and the other on an outside,
> open,
> network.
>
> My inside network is Vlan200, 10.250.2.0/24.  My outside network is
> 206.80.95.0/24.  This router is currently supporting wired users in both
> those
> networks.
>
> My network is roughly:
>
>                           /--- AP1
> C3845 ---dot1q--- C2960 -
>                           \--- AP2
>
> So the actual APs are connected to separate switch where wired users live.
>
> I have the following interfaces defined on the router:
>
> interface GigabitEthernet0/0.4
>   description public network
>   encapsulation dot1Q 4
>   ip address 206.80.95.2 255.255.255.0
> end
>
> interface GigabitEthernet0/0.200
>   encapsulation dot1Q 200
>   ip address 10.250.2.254 255.255.255.0
>   ip nat inside
>   ip virtual-reassembly
> end
>
> I'm stuck at the initial config of the NM-WLC.  If I try to configure wlan1/0
> on the same network as gi0/0.200, I get an address overlap error.  Do I
> have
> to carve out a separate network/Vlan for the APs?  And a separate one for
> wlan1/0, management and ap-manager?
>
> After creating an SSID and associating it with a Vlan,  how to get those
> wireless users to talk to my wired users?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/y6d65y makes it look like I need IRB but that's not
> really
> clear to me.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

You are correct, you do need a separate VLAN for the APs and also for wlan1/0, mgmt
and ap-manager. You have to configure subinterfaces for your wireless client
VLANs on the wlan interface, not the Gi0/0 of your router. Take a look
at example #2 of the document you linked to, also take a look at the
following:

http://tinyurl.com/y7vrak

Hope this helps.

-Yuri