[c-nsp] Hostname in configuration instead of IP ?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Sep 1 17:25:44 EDT 2006

Running IOS 12.4 on a number of platforms, I can specify a
hostname for a number of parameters such as NTP server,
TACACS host, etc.

The router immediately translates the hostname to an IP
address and stores the resolved IP in the configuration.

I want to store the hostname in the configuration and have
the router do the lookup when the resource is needed.

router(config)# tacacs-server host authserver.mydomain.com
Translating "authserver.mydomain.com"...domain server (my.res.olv.er) [OK]

and the IP address of authserver gets written to the configuration.

I want to save the hostnames and have the router look them up
on-the-fly.  Is this doable?

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323