[c-nsp] Cat 6500 Syslog Messages

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Sep 4 20:50:32 EDT 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, William Chu wrote:

> My cat6500 had a bunch of these messages showing up earlier today, see
> below:
>
> Sep  4 01:53:22 2006 Sep 04 01:53:21 %SYS-3-SYS_LCPERR3:Module 4: RChip
> Port#3 Boc Payload Crc Error: Module requires attention - troubleshoot or
> contact TAC for assistance

I've never seen this one specifically, but a quick pass over Cisco's site
doesn't reveal much useful information.  It just sais that an error has
been detected in the RChip ASIC and that it's a debugging message.  The
recommendation is to replace the module.

It possible that if this didn't start until after a code upgrade that
there's some funky low-level IOS version/card firmware version
incompatibility that's at the heart of the issue.

If you have a support contract that covers hardware replacement, I suspect
that getting a replacement won't be a big issue.  Finding out exactly why
this is happening may be a little more involved since it may need to be
escalated to a development engineer.

jms