[c-nsp] Cat 6500 Syslog Messages

Sukumar Subburayan sukumars at cisco.com
Mon Sep 4 21:08:41 EDT 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, William Chu wrote:
>
>> My cat6500 had a bunch of these messages showing up earlier today, see
>> below:
>>
>> Sep  4 01:53:22 2006 Sep 04 01:53:21 %SYS-3-SYS_LCPERR3:Module 4: RChip
>> Port#3 Boc Payload Crc Error: Module requires attention - troubleshoot or
>> contact TAC for assistance
>
> I've never seen this one specifically, but a quick pass over Cisco's site
> doesn't reveal much useful information.  It just sais that an error has
> been detected in the RChip ASIC and that it's a debugging message.  The
> recommendation is to replace the module.
>
> It possible that if this didn't start until after a code upgrade that
> there's some funky low-level IOS version/card firmware version
> incompatibility that's at the heart of the issue.

The bumped up the syslog level for such error message to Level 3 in newer
code. To be very precise, CScef18763 was the bug-id which enhanced the
syslog level. So, if the customer was running a level of code lower that
the fix for this, then the message would have been printed only if the
system logging level was also set at 6, which by default is not the case.

> If you have a support contract that covers hardware replacement, I suspect
> that getting a replacement won't be a big issue.

  Finding out exactly why