[c-nsp] VOIP Quality with Multilink PPP

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Sep 6 10:17:47 EDT 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Greene, Patrick wrote:

> I am about to deploy a large MPLS network and have a number of CE
> locations receiving nxT1 with MLPP.  I am running the standard priority
> queuing for voice and CBWFQ underneath that.  I have heard there can be
> voice quality issues caused by physical disparities in the T1 circuits
> themselves creating excessive out-of-order packets.  I spoke to TAC

MLPPP handles reordering, so as far as the VOIP gear is concerned, there
should be no out of order packets.  If there are noticable disparities in
T1 latencies within a ML group, then I suspect you would only see that as
increased jitter.

Another possible issue to worry about is MLPPP does not CEF switch tagged
packets until at least 12.3 on the 7200 platform.  I'm not sure about
others.  So, if you're doing MPLS over MLPPP, and running say 12.2S (or
earlier code), you may have problems.