[c-nsp] 2 full BGP feeds on 3750?...expanded

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Sep 6 13:51:44 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 10:43:48PM +0500, Shakeel Ahmad wrote:
> I'll agree to this, UNTILL your upstream is a transite provider for your
> prefix, you don't even need to run BGP.

As I said - if you have multiple ethernet-based links, you need a reliable
way for the router to figure out "this link is broken".  Unfortunately,
quite a number of wide-area-ethernet techniques always signal a link on
both sides, no matter what the actual end-to-end connection state is - so
you can't use link state + static routes for failover.

This means: unless you have BFD for static routes (which isn't there), you
need a dynamic routing protocol - and the most sane way to do that with
untrusted entities on both sides is BGP (surprise).

[ObNag: "BFD for static routes - and/or interface up/down state - NOW"]

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de