[c-nsp] Per-VRF Router-ID on Sup720 ?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Sep 6 14:00:02 EDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 07:52:54PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 01:51:21PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > 	Since service providers don't need high uptime that enterprises do
> > is my guess.
>
> Ah, interesting.  (High uptime in *Enterprise* networks?  "Just reboot
> that switch, helped fix the issue last time!!").

	heh, actually there is a huge set of enterprises
(eg: finance) that need uptime.  there's also stock trading
systems that use multicast and other fancy stuff that isn't
as broadly used in the SP space.  So basically SRA is an attempt
to make second class citizens out of the SP space.  Then again
most SP's don't spend as much as most enterprises anyways so
that has already existed :)

> > Why anyone would think that is beyond me, perhaps slightly
> > out of touch with their market?
>
> Just so slightly.
>
> "We have all these cool redundancy-and-fast-failover-thingies, who cares
> about uptime?".

	That's the things that sometimes gets me.  eg: warm reload.
Sure, if I have a dual processor environment it may not be as needed,
right?

	it's being somewhat shortsighted, perhaps if i'm running a single
processor, it'd be of valuable.

	it's a whole engineering vs operations vision that is sometimes
disconnected.  i attempt to help when possible, but it feels futile.

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net