[c-nsp] Cisco - TCL script document

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Sat Sep 9 00:13:47 EDT 2006

I just filed a bug where some new buffer configuration commands were
not parsing on reload because we coded it wrong.

I was able to use an EEM applet as a simple workaround that looked
like this:

Symptom:

When tuning particle clone, F/S, and header pools after these were made
configurable
via CSCuk47328 the commands may be lost on a reload.

Conditions:

If the device is reloaded the commands are not parsed on a reload and this results
in the defaults being active. This may result in traffic loss if the increased
buffers
were needed to enable greater forwarding performance for the specific network
design.

Workaround:

To workaround the problem an applet can be configured to enter the buffer
values again after a reload. A sample applet would be:

event manager applet add-buffer
 event syslog occurs 1 pattern ".*%SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --.*"
 action 1.0 cli command "enable"
 action 2.0 cli command "configure terminal"
 action 3.0 cli command "buffers particle-clone 16384"
 action 4.0 cli command "buffers header 4096"
 action 5.0 cli command "buffers fastswitching 8192"
 action 6.0 syslog msg "Reinstated buffers command"

So on reload it would enter the configuration commands back for me.

Take that Mr. Bug. :)

Rodney