[c-nsp] Router recommendation

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Sep 14 05:03:08 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 05:36:43PM -0700, Rick Kunkel wrote:
> 1. We're terminating a DSL Aggregation DS-3, so there must be an
> electrical and/or optical DS-3 module available for it.

If it's a single DS3, keep the 7206 you have for that purpose...

> 5.  Able to route/switch about 1Gbps from the various internet facing
> interfaces to the various internal facing interfaces.  (I'm sure this is
> not a simple answer, but unfortunately, that's about all I've got to go on
> right now.)

... and for that, it depends on whether you need full routing tables
and/or useful accounting (netflow, ACL counters, VLAN counters).

If you need "fast but dumb", a 3650G switch will do fine - lots of gbit
ports, wirespeed, but very limited regarding routing table size and
all sorts of counting things.

If you need "fast and smart and full BGP table", things will get more
tricky - you'll either need a Juniper M7i (which is highly flexible,
but the interface boards are insanely expensive - which isn't so bad
if you only need 3 GE ports), or a 7604+Sup32 or a 7604+Sup720/3B or
even Sup720/3BXL, depending on the number of routes you need.

What's your budget...?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de