[c-nsp] Showing alternate BGP paths

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Sep 14 05:46:39 EDT 2006

Karol,

your output shows a lab router receiving two paths from two different
neighbors. This router can do multipath (and if it does multipath, it
can perform unequal-cost multipath using dmzlink-bw), but it will still
select *one* best path and will only send this one best-path to its
neighbors.
You usually run into this limitation when you have route reflectors,
i.e. the following BGP topology:

eBGP GW1  --\
             ---- RR --- router1
eBGP GW2  --/

Assuming the RR is not in the forwarding path: Even if router1 could use
multipath with both gateways to reach a certain prefix, the RR only
sends one of the two to router1, so in effect one of two paths is not
used.

	oli

Karol Mares <mailto:KMares at soitron.com> wrote on Thursday, September 14,
2006 10:43 AM: