[c-nsp] VPLS vs H-VPLS

nebu thomas nebuvthomas at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 09:07:14 EDT 2006

  Hi Annu ,

    VPLS comes in two flavours ,LDP based and BGP
based.

   H-VPLS is implemented in LDP based VPLS.

    H-VPLS helps in scalability ,ie;reduces the number
of PE - to PE LSPs. Only PEs which are part
of the core need to have a full mesh.
   Imagine you have a network in which you have
 about 100 P.Es .Having a full mesh between all these
100 P.Es will be difficult and hence the use of
H-VPLS.
  So we divide the P.Es in to u-P.Es and n-P.Es (Cisco
term ) and have only full mesh between the n-PEs.
  And you can run either a Martini tunnel or dot1q
between the u-PE and n-PE.

   Also note that , H-VPLS doesnt offer an advantage
in terms of reduction in mac-address  by each n-P.E.

Thanks and regards,
Nebu V Thomas.