[c-nsp] using snmp views effectively

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Thu Sep 14 12:09:21 EDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 12:33:11PM +0100, Rolf Mendelsohn wrote:
> I am wondering if there are any service providers who effectively deploy
> complex snmp-view statement in order to allow customers who have demanding
> SLA/QoS/ Performance trending requirements to 'view' the MIB's of their
> connected interfaces.
>
> Obviously we don't want them to see all MIB's but there are a large number
> which would be required in order to effectively collect this data.

When faced with a similar problem a few years ago, I decided it was better
to have customers query my Cricket server to see their graphs rather
than poke the router directly.  The only catch was, Cricket didn't have
any access control, so I had to patch it in.  The patch is available
on Sourceforge.

If you think about it, it's a lot easier to manage the customers on
a separate server rather than the router.  And what if you change your
network, change your SNMP communities or switch to SNMPv3, etc?