[c-nsp] Small PE L3 Switches ?

David J. Hughes bambi at hughes.com.au
Fri Sep 15 03:22:35 EDT 2006

On 15/09/2006, at 4:41 PM, Mike Butash wrote:

> 7301 is just a 2600 on steroids with a pa card slot in it and 3x
> gige's.
> Nothing notable, but not a bad device.  Good for multiple t1's and
> don't
> share the same behavior as it's cousin, the 04.

Errr, a 7301 isn't anything like a 2600.  It's a 1RU NPE-G1.  We've
happily used them to push > 650mbps over dark fibre between data
centres.  Nice box for the right application

> 6500 we'd found makes for a nice mpls p or pe platform, though
> there are
> limitations in some cases where they are less than ideal.

Yup, we like 6500's as we already use them for L2 and L3
aggregation.   The point of the original question was to find
something _other than_ a 6500 as a PE box.  We use 3750's as "L3
PE's" in the right situation and a box of that size / performance /
price with MPLS would rock.

David