[c-nsp] Small PE L3 Switches ?

Eric Pylko eric at infinitenetworks.us
Fri Sep 15 10:33:27 EDT 2006

Have you looked at the MetroEthernet 3400's? It might fit what you're
looking for. 24x10/100 and 2xSFP.  Here's the info from Cisco's website
about the feature sets:

The METROBASE image is targeted for triple play services; includes advanced
QoS, rate-limiting, robust multicast control, and comprehensive security
features

The METROACCESS image is targeted for premium triple play services or Layer
2 VPN services and includes a richer set of metro access features including
802.1Q Tunneling, Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling, and Flex Link; also includes
the METROBASE feature set

The METROIPACCESS is targeted for Layer 3 VPN services; includes advanced
Layer 3 features such as advanced IP Routing (RIPv1/v2, EIGRP, OSPF, BGPv4),
Multi-VRF CE, and policy-based routing ( PBR ); also includes the
METROACCESS feature set

CD Upgrade kit options are also available

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6580/index.html

I've never used one but we were entertaining them for a telco I used to work
for.

List price looks like $1995 for the AC model and the METROBASE.

-Eric