[c-nsp] IP SLA / rtr MIA strangeness

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 16:36:08 EDT 2006

I've recently starting configuring up IP SLA/rtr bits on my edge
routers to try to get an idea of general performance and line
characteristics. However I'm running into a bit of a strange problem..

My standard config looks something like this:
rtr 2
 type jitter dest-ipaddr x.y.z.t dest-port 60814 source-ipaddr x.y.z.s
num-packets 12000
 request-data-size 172
 timeout 150
 tag router1-router2
 frequency 300
rtr schedule 2 life forever start-time now

This generates a reasonably continuous 68k stream (should be roughly
voice bandwidth/packet sizes) across the link for 4 minutes, repeating
every 5 minutes.

The strange thing is that I'm seeing large numbers of 'Packets MIA' on
all the links I have this configured on. To test further, I configured
this between the loopbacks of two 3560Gs with a pair of 1G links
bundled together linking them. They are saying around 3k packets go
MIA for every cycle - that's 25%.... (just to clarify.. we're not
experiencing and 'real' packet loss on this link)

Am I doing anything in particular wrong? What exactly does 'Packets MIA' mean?

Thanks,
Ras