[c-nsp] no PPP multilink neogtiation

Francois Corthésy fc at deckpoint.com
Fri Sep 22 14:06:27 EDT 2006

It seems that every so often a PPP Multilink question comes upon the
list, and I feel it's been far too long since the last one, so here is mine.

We terminate a wholesale L2TP link on our LNS, and I'm trying to set up
a 1841 to have a functional PPP multilink with our 7200 serving as LNS.

relevant config on the LNS :
multilink virtual-template 1
!
virtual-template 1 pre-clone 400
!
interface Virtual-Template1
 ip unnumbered Loopback1
 keepalive 5 4
 ppp mtu adaptive
 ppp authentication pap chap
 ppp ipcp dns xxx.xxx.xxx
 ppp multilink

Relevent config on the 1841 :

interface ATM0/0/0
 no ip address
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 dsl operating-mode auto
 pvc 8/35
  pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
 !
!
interface ATM0/1/0
 no ip address
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 dsl equipment-type CPE
 dsl operating-mode GSHDSL symmetric annex B
 dsl linerate AUTO
 pvc 8/35
  pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
 !
!
interface Dialer1
 ip address negotiated
 ip mtu 1452
 ip nat outside
 ip virtual-reassembly
 encapsulation ppp
 no ip route-cache cef
 no ip route-cache
 dialer pool 1
 dialer-group 1
 no cdp enable
 ppp chap hostname xxxxx
 ppp chap password xxxxx
 ppp mutlilink

both links connect correctly, but no MLP bundle gets set up. :

1841#show users
    Line       User       Host(s)              Idle       Location
*  0 con 0                idle                 00:00:00

  Interface    User               Mode         Idle     Peer Address
  Vi1                             PPPoE        00:00:06 xxx.xxx.191.193
  Vi2                             PPPoE        00:00:00 xxx.xxx.191.193

I've done some debuging on the LNS, using a "debug vtemplate", and it
would seem that the "PPP multilink" doesn't get cloned into the new
virtual-access.

I've also recently realized that both PPPoE sessions get in through a
different L2TP Tunnel :

LNS#show vpdn | inc test
LocID RemID TunID Intf                 Username State  Last Chg Uniq ID
18950 50682  6115   Vi403.345     test            est     00:04:17 184132
18951 16494  499     Vi403.365     test            est     00:04:17 177234

Could this be my problem ? Or maybe our L2TP providers filters multilink
request on the LAC, or maybe I just missed something really obvious and
will be flamed into oblivion :)

Murphy