[c-nsp] spanning-tree and redundant links

raa at opusnet.com raa at opusnet.com
Fri Sep 22 14:39:28 EDT 2006

Hi.

I have two Catalyst 6509 and I'm configuring it to provide redundant links
for access layer switches (cisco and non-cisco.)  So the access layer switch
will have two uplinks, one to 6509-sw1 and one to 6509-sw2.  I've setup Vlan
10 for inter-vlan routing and setup HSRP on both 6509 Vlan interfaces.  The
6509 have an 802.1q trunk between them.

My question relates to spanning-tree.  Is there a best practice
configuration for setups like this?  I would think that since 6509-sw1 is
the active router for Vlan10, I would want to make sure that spanning-tree
is blocking the port on 6509-sw02.  or, do I want spanning-tree disabled on
those ports?

Thanks.  Appreciate the help.

Ruben.