[c-nsp] Typical Cisco router (12000/7600) per-box latency for packet switching?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Mon Sep 25 18:02:49 EDT 2006

> Are there known, typical latency values added to
> packets by a single hop high-end Cisco router
> like the 12000 series and 7600 series?
>
> I'm sure this one is a really multifaceted issue,
> but it would nonetheless be very enlightening to
> find experiences and recommended documents
> about it.

For "real world" latency you have to consider circuit congestion and
buffer sizes. Cisco I believe does specify the latency for a "Cisco Cell"
traversing the 12000's switch fabric, which is in the microsecond range if
I remember correctly. I've never seen anything specified for the 7600
series, but then again I haven't ever really looked either :-)

I would imagine that the 7600 latency would be very similar to, if not the
same as, latency on the 6500 platform since they're essentially the same
on the hardware side.

     -Bill