[c-nsp] Typical Cisco router (12000/7600) per-box latency for packet switching?

LJ Wobker lwobker at cisco.com
Thu Sep 28 10:52:08 EDT 2006

This is correct... the hardware based platforms all move packets around so
quickly that the *uncongested* latency values are essentially meaningless.
The network impact of 20 microseconds vs 100 microseconds vs 500
microseconds is functionally nil.

Bill's comment about circuit/buffer sizing is spot on: What you need to pay
attention to is how well the system manages latency in the case of
congestion: specifically the ability to provide voice traffic with low and
predictable latency values regardless of how badly oversubscribed the other
queues are.

--lj