[c-nsp] 10G and carrier delay

hjan hjan at libero.it
Wed Sep 27 04:43:01 EDT 2006

From: "Saku Ytti":
> You should also use 'dampening' under interface configuration for low
> carrier-delay.

Dampening is active on those interface ;)

> TAC said on one case that cisco default is 50ms, which is not true,
> as you can probably see, it's 10ms per default, which still,
> from my point of view is very low and begs 'dampening'.

Yes, I agree on all.

> I know it used to be 2s (perhaps still is on some platform/interface),
> which is insanely long.
>
> I'm running msec 0 on many platforms without any issues thus far,
> but I ran it with dampening from day 1.

I have many OC48 POS installed on GSR and 7600 and all run with
"carrier-delay msec 2",
now i'm upgrading some part of the backbone with TenGE and i leave the same
conf in many part.

> TAC tells us that it's normal for ethernet interface go up/down
> several times when it's coming up, depending not only
> on receiver but also senders transceiver and temperature (the
> warmer it is, the longer convergence). And they suggested
> not to tune it faster than 20ms (which of course is higher
> than their default). However they also said that considerable
> amount of transceivers will produce good results with 0 too.

Well, I do a search on TAC case just for increase my background theory.

Thanks,
Gianluca