[c-nsp] Software forced crash on 2651XM/12.3(6e)

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Sep 27 15:03:08 EDT 2006

christopher.a.kane at jpmchase.com wrote:

>> Or upgrade to the latest 12.3 mainline code and see if it goes away.
>
> Not to pick on you Rodney.....but I'd like to better understand why this
> statement gets uttered so much. For those of us in large enterprises
> (maybe the smaller ones too), code upgrades are rarely permitted on whim.

I've ALWAYS said: don't run an IOS image with a low "third digit" unless
you have no other choice.  If 12.4(10) is already out, why should anyone
be running with a less-mature version of 12.3?  I can understand that
you can't do code upgrades on a whim, but if 12.3(20) and 12.2(37) are
out, why would someone be running 12.3(6) when they could at least be on
12.3(10) (theoretically as mature as 12.4(10), yet out for a WHILE).

My advice to people has been to run the latest version of 12.2, or 12.3
if your hardware/feature requirements dictate, or 12.4 if your
requirements dictate, or 12.4T as a last resort.

pt