[c-nsp] new 8-port 10 G blade

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Sep 28 21:02:55 EDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 03:00:39AM +0200, Niels Bakker wrote:
> * ras at e-gerbil.net (Richard A Steenbergen) [Fri 29 Sep 2006, 02:53 CEST]:
> [..]
> >Bandwidth hyperbole is great fun and all, but it leads to poor decision
> >making, inefficient spending, and wasted effort on a global scale.
>
> A decade ago you would have written the same rant against Gigabit Ethernet.

A decade ago nobody needed Gigabit Ethernet. I'm not saying 100GE will
NEVER be needed, just that it isn't needed today (or tomorrow). I can't
see how your energies wouldn't be better spent working with more modest
but attainable goals like 40GE, especially when they fit so well within
the means of existing technology, allowed for standardized optical
components to be shared across multiple technologies, and integrates well
into the existing architecture of most routers/switches.