[c-nsp] new 8-port 10 G blade

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Thu Sep 28 21:52:01 EDT 2006

* ras at e-gerbil.net (Richard A Steenbergen) [Fri 29 Sep 2006, 03:23 CEST]:
>On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 03:00:39AM +0200, Niels Bakker wrote:
>>* ras at e-gerbil.net (Richard A Steenbergen) [Fri 29 Sep 2006, 02:53 CEST]:
>>>Bandwidth hyperbole is great fun and all, but it leads to poor decision
>>>making, inefficient spending, and wasted effort on a global scale.
>>A decade ago you would have written the same rant against Gigabit
>>Ethernet.
>A decade ago nobody needed Gigabit Ethernet. I'm not saying 100GE will
>NEVER be needed, just that it isn't needed today (or tomorrow). I can't
>see how your energies wouldn't be better spent working with more modest
>but attainable goals like 40GE, especially when they fit so well within
>the means of existing technology, allowed for standardized optical
>components to be shared across multiple technologies, and integrates well
>into the existing architecture of most routers/switches.

Exactly.  The incremental change from n*10GE to 40GE is not a challenge.
The target of this standardisation effort is to get a path for future
growth, not to save three fiber pairs over one.

Obviously vendors will need to increase their backplane capacity etc.
in order for 100GE to make sense.  More bits/sec per rack is the goal.

	-- Niels.