[c-nsp] 7600 IOS Version choice ....

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Apr 12 09:43:10 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:05:38AM +0200, Gordon Bezzina wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems I need some advise. As you remember some months ago I mention to
> you the intention of moving
> Up from the 7500 to the 7600. I am now happy to tell you that I have a 7600
> + SUP720-3BXL standing besides
> My desk. I now need some advise on choosing the right IOS.
>
> I was thinking to either use the SXF or the SRA3, but I am not sure what are
> they geared towards. I know that they have
> Different features and it is obvious that the SRA3 has a richer feature set.
> But is the SX destined to die and be
> Replaced with the SRA3 and lately the SRB.

Yes. For the 7600 platform that is the case. There will be a new SXH train
called Whitney that will be focued on the 6500 platform. Basically the 7600 and
6500 are splitting.

If you want to prepare for what will be coming down the road you need to
go with SRB. A lot of customers are parked on 12.2(18)SXF because it is still
being rebuilt. The only reason it's being rebuilt still is because of some
hardware support that isn't in later releases (ie: sup2 I think it is).