[c-nsp] vlan configuration for video system

Nick Griffin nick.jon.griffin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 21:40:18 EDT 2007

The only mechanism I know of on a switch to be able to determine what vlan a
port should be assigned to is the communication between a cisco phone and
switch utilizing CDP. There are of course other external options, but thats
more along the lines of security and Cisco ACS. I wouldn't imagine the
capability or the need to trunk to a video system. Typically the video
systems will set DSCP values for their control and video traffic which you
would configured your switch to "trust". If for some reason they wouldn't
mark they data, you would use an extended acl to identify the traffic and
set the DSCP value accordingly. Some systems also use RSVP to request the
reservation from the network. I would recommend separate voice video and
data vlans to allow the different levels of QoS required for each respective
application. I would have a more of a concern with being able to control
quality across those wireless links if video will be running across them.

HTH,

Nick Griffin, CCIE #17381