[c-nsp] Optimal solution for iBGP mesh

Kanagaraj Krishna kanagaraj at aims.com.my
Sat Apr 14 14:34:53 EDT 2007

Hi,
   As we all know, fully meshed iBGP topology is not suitable for network
scalability. The recommended alternatives are route reflector and AS
confederation (we are practising the former to a certain extent). At the
moment we are thinking of having a few (maybe 2) routers just dedicated as
Route Reflectors but the load on this routers would be high.
Just curious whether, MPLS can be used in the same way to reduce BGP sessions
and processing load on network equipments?

- Maybe have internal routers using next-hop labels to direct traffic to edge
routers.
- Meanwhile only internal routers connected to downstream BGP customers are
configured to receive full routes.

Please advise whether this option feasible. If there some of you guys/gals who
are using a similar setup please share additional info on how to get it up and
running (article, reference etc). Thanks.

/Kana