[c-nsp] 6500 / 7600 output drops

Richard Harvey richard.harvey at uk.easynet.net
Tue Apr 17 03:59:00 EDT 2007

If you're getting output drops then the interface may well be getting
genuinely congested, albeit on a very temporary basis.

I have seen an IPTV platform achieve a target streaming rate by
'bursting' at full line rate - eg. 100mbps achieved by sending full
1Gbps of traffic then 9 x 0Gbps of traffic every interval. Add this to
the existing background unicast traffic and you have easily filled the
egress buffers of a 67xx card during the burst.

I was able to resolve my issue by attaching the headend at a lower
access rate, (100mb in this case), reducing it's ability to fill core
links. A little crude, but very effective!

Richard