[c-nsp] PPS

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Wed Apr 18 04:23:32 EDT 2007

On (2007-04-18 15:09 +0800), Lincoln Dale (ltd) wrote:
> > Just as a curiosity non-DFC platform actually is not limited by
> > [..]
>
> I believe your math is accurate.
>
> this is why many of the newer linecards (e.g. WS-X6708 8 port 10GbE
> linecard) are only available with DFC3C or DFC3CXL, because it doesn't
> make a huge amount of sense to have centralized forwarding with such
> high performance cards.

 Some people would probably just want higher density, so I would
like the alternative to be there. Funny thing is that the new 8 port
cards actually should work as CFC cards by just pulling out the DFC.
 Older cards needed separate CFC probably since superman was just way too
expensive to be stupid bus ASIC. In PFC3C bus asic functionality was
removed to separate chip 'kuma' and superman and tycho were combined
to supertycho. So DFC has supertycho and card itself always has
bus asic 'kuma'. So wonder why this alternative of selling without
DFC is not offered, as it shouldn't increase ciscos costs at all,
unless I'm mistaken somewhere. I'd like to buy eg ES20's without DFC's.

--
  ++ytti