[c-nsp] Best Practice for ISP (Rebooting the switch)

Rader, Troy D. troy.rader at ou.edu
Tue Apr 17 09:40:57 EDT 2007

A comical aside to this topic is people comparing uptimes.

Much of our equipment (6500/7600) is currently in the 2+ years range
now.  In the past, I have seen, a 2500 router up over 4+ years.
Recently, a friend at Cisco sent a note about a switch or router that
had been up for 8+ years.

Clearly, many of these have security issues that would need addressed
along the way, but it's hard to argue with this kind of uptime.

Some of the trade-off appears to be necessity of reloads for stability
and/or upgrades vs uptime, either for bragging rights or to show
customers how very stable your network is.