[c-nsp] Best Practice for ISP (Rebooting the switch)

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Apr 17 00:58:19 EDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Affandi Indraji wrote:

> I would like to know, is there any white paper or some written evidence
> saying that half yearly/yearly/whatever it is maintenance is good for the
> health of the equipment?

If a network device is stable, not leaking memory or other resources,
doesn't have any relevant security bugs that I can't get around with some
combination of ACLs and disabling something, and it has all of the
features I need, then I see no need to reboot it just for the sake of
rebooting it.  Customers like uptime :)

If one or more of the conditions above isn't met, a reboot may be
necessary, but they tend not to be on regular intervals.

jms