[c-nsp] Regarding QinQ and 802.1ad-2005

Arnab Bakshi arnab.bakshi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 01:01:43 EDT 2007

Hi All,

   I have been experimenting with QinQ a few days and I came across
some issues and questions I would like to put forward.

   My question is whether QinQ or 802.1Q which is said to be supported
by cisco 3550, 7206 series switch/router is the same as the QinQ
tunnelling that is defined in 802.1ad-2005?

  As per my understanding the 802.1Q tunneling is just to stack one
more VLAN tag with the TPID value set to 0x8100 or 0x9100 which is
supported by cisco and some other DUTs.

  As per 802.1ad-2005 there is a new ethertype 0x88a8 for the service
TAG to be inserted by the provider edge/provider bridges.

  Also if 802.1ad-2005 is different then can anybody tell about which
cisco box supports IEEE 802.1ad-2005.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Arnab