[c-nsp] Bonded DSL solution

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Fri Apr 20 12:48:34 EDT 2007

Hello all,

We're looking into offering "bonded" DSL lines to customer who want more
speed, but for whom something like a DS-3 is out of the question.  I'm
currently trying to figure out if Cisco has a solution for something like
this.

One thing I've considered, which isn't really true "bonding" is to have
the customer have X DSL modems plugged into X ethernet ports on a router.
I'll assign a different /30 address to each of their X ethernet ports,
assign them a larger internal netblock, and then just create X static
routes to that netblock.  AFAIK, the traffic would round-robin between the
different X circuits.  And the customer would create X 0.0.0.0/0 routes
pointing back to me.  Sounds do-able.  I think... right?

The above seems a little low-tech though...  Are there better ways to do
it?  Multi-link PPP?  Some kind Cisco proprietary bonding protocol?  The
DSL lines all terminate in a Verizon ATM DS-3 plugged into a 7206VXR
NPE-G1.

Thanks!

Rick Kunkel