[c-nsp] HSRP and BGP

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Sun Apr 29 23:52:00 EDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 01:24:02PM +1000, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> 	Is this not a valid way to do HSRP to an upstream? Is there
> something wrong with this methodology? Is there some configuration in the
> HSRP or BGP that I have missed?

Yes, Yes, and Maybe.  I'm guessing that the HSRP IP address isn't known
at the upper layers where the BGP session stuff lives - if the router
originates a session it will use one of its "real" IP addresses.  It
should work if the HSRP router is just a passive listener, but then
when you swap routers you'll have to wait for an extra timeout or two
to get your session back up.

> And if this wont work for some reason, what
> is another way of doing this? Should I just have 2 BGP peers with router-B
> pre-pending itself?

Yes and Yes.