[c-nsp] HSRP and BGP

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Sun Apr 29 23:24:02 EDT 2007

Hey all,

	The other day I was trying to setup a connection to a new upstream.
I got them to give us a /29 for the interconnect, had 2 * 7204 routers in a
VLAN to the upstream, configured in HSRP so that if one dropped off, the
other would take over.  All good in theory.

	But, it just wouldn't work.  In the /29, lets say the upstream was
.1 and the virtual IP was .2 with router-A being .3 and router-B being .4.

	Router-A just would not connect as it seemed in debugging to be
announcing itself as .3, not .2, even though I forced the Router-ID as .2.
The second I took down the HSRP and put .2 on the interface of router-A, it
all came up instantly.

	Is this not a valid way to do HSRP to an upstream? Is there
something wrong with this methodology? Is there some configuration in the
HSRP or BGP that I have missed? And if this wont work for some reason, what
is another way of doing this? Should I just have 2 BGP peers with router-B
pre-pending itself?

.Skeeve

--
Skeeve Stevens, RHCE
skeeve at skeeve.org / www.skeeve.org

eintellego - skeeve at eintellego.net - www.eintellego.net
--
I'm a groove licked love child king of the verse
Si vis pacem, para bellum