[c-nsp] TE design guidance

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Aug 6 17:42:49 EDT 2007

I'm trying to come up with the best way to layout TE tunnels between a
couple POPs.  On one side I have a pair of 7600s with 3BXLs running
SRB1; we'll call this A and B.  On the other side I have a pair of
ME6524s; we'll call these C and D.  Each pair of routers serves are the
core in their respective POP, with the edge devices dual-homing to each
core router.  The first router in each POP is connected via GigE over
about 80 miles of fiber through numerous towns using media converters.
The second router in each POP is connected in a similar fashion over
another strand in the same fiber bundle.  A 3rd connection is being made
with radios and will terminate in the first router in each POP.  At some
point in the future the second fiber path will be broken in the middle
to drop off services in that town.  I anticipate either a 7201 or
another 7600 depending on bandwidth needs vs costs; we'll call this
future router E.

My short term needs mainly involve FRR.  However as our backbone
bandwidth needs grow we'll likely need the full set of TE features in
the not-too-distant long-term.

Unfortunately we do not have 2 diverse fiber paths to work with at this
point in time.  My initial thought was that I should build tunnels for
A-C, B-D, A-B-D-C, and B-A-C-D.  However the radios complicate that
design in my eyes.  How do I indicate that the radio path is more costly
than the fiber path for as far as MPLS TE is concerned?  Do I need an
explicit path defined for each possible combination of paths?  Am I
simply not looking at this in the right light?

Thanks
  Justin