[c-nsp] Solarwinds Orion & Cirrus - Thoughts?

Gregori Parker Gregori.Parker at theplatform.com
Tue Aug 7 13:34:25 EDT 2007

I've evaluated these two products as potential solutions several times
over the last 3 years...everytime the result was "not ready for prime
time".  I end up using open-source solutions (RANCID, Cacti, syslog-ng,
etc) because, although they require more time to tweak and get right, at
least they can get to that point of being right (and can support ALL of
my devices).  With a black-box solution like Orion/Cirrus, my hands
would be tied and I'd be continually waiting for new versions of the
software.

Btw, the tools I mentioned have all been stacked on one server (well,
two if you count a shadow server for redundancy) with no impact on
performance - the tasks we're talking about really don't require all
that much power.  I wouldn't consider breaking anything out until the
node count gets well above 100, but YMMV.