[c-nsp] pix and css 11501

Tony Smith omega7 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 00:58:10 EDT 2007

Because traffic is coming from 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2 (the static on the
pix).  It is then being destination nat'ed to the inside interface to
4.4.4.4 (the CSS VIP.)  The CSS is then destination nat'ing it to the
server 3.3.3.1 (which is off the dmz interface.)  This last leg is
from inside:1.1.1.1 to dmz:3.3.3.1.

First off, why would you have your CSS on the inside and your servers
in the DMZ?
Secondly, is it necessary to NAT twice--once on the firewall and again
on the CSS?

I don't see how this can work without source nat'ting on the CSS.  The
firewall is going to see packets source from 1.1.1.1 on the outside
interface and then see packets source from that ip again on the inside
interface.

In a one firewall setup, I have either seen the load balancer put
outside the firewall, or the load balancer and the servers off the
same firewall interface and create separate vlans on the switch for
the VIPs and the servers.

-tony